I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[SPOILERS - PBEM16] Krill - Tokugawa of Rome

[Image: fuckoff.gif]
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

I hate this start. Possibly one of the worst starts I can imagine for Rome..as I'll explain in the next post.

[Image: PBEM16-Krill.jpg]
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

PB1: AGG/CRE, Ruff. Won the game (somehow?)
PB2: AGG/EXP, Whosit. Pissed off Plako and paid the price (why?)
PB3: AGG/CRE, Sandover. Got into a fight with Mukha and didn't do much.

PBEM6: AGG/CHM, Jowy. Not really a representative game.

So...4 games with AGG Rome. One got into a fight with Zulu that I want to emulate, one decided to forget playing sane, one got crippled by tech pace and one by the map set up.

This doesn't bode well for me, does it?

Here is what I said over a year go in the RBPB2 lurker thread: "When you play Shaka of rome, you do one thing. You tech worker techs, then you tech pottery, then you tech IW. You get iron asap, and you 2-pop slave and chop out preats everywhere. By turn 60 you are looking at having a minimum 5 preats. You can't play it any other way. The stupid thing is he had all of this infomation available in RBPB1 threads to read."

Now, I'm basically playing shaka of Rome, minus the worker bonus, but with faster border pops, perhaps best considered as some weird amalgam of Kublai and Shaka. The only problem now is that I'm playing on Quick speed, on either small or standard instead of huge, and double pop whips have been nerfed. And half the other players are PRO

Putting together a preat rush in this game is going to be harder than any of the other games, save PBEM6...however, I do have an advantage for winning.

I don't have to preat rush.

The plan is fairly simple. Everyone that runs over AGG Rome wants an NAP that is very very long, enough time to get to cats. This cuts both ways, and I now have one trait that gives me cheap granaries, and another that allows me to ignore some techs and still pop borders cheaply. AGG isn't as good as IMP, or CRE in the early game, but hopefully it'll be enough, especially if some of my neighbours are running scared trying to find metal to hook up and not focussing on balanced expansion. I hope to be able to keep up, maybe even out expand some of the players and grab more land. I expect that I'll get at least one bite on a long NAP leaving me free to hit someone else if I really have to though.

And hey, if I have to hit someone, AGG preats are just about the first choice I'd come up with.

Lets compare ideal settings for a preat rush. What do you need to pull it off? 3 good cities by the time you get IW, with a settler and at least 2 workers ready to go and hook up iron. You need AGG for the preats so you need one of PRO, EXP, CRE and IMP. Each one has advantages. Early growth is pretty much independent of world size and difficulty, but tech speed isn't: on a small, noble map you can tech to IW faster than on a huge, monarch map, but you will reach 3 cities on the same turn on either map (well, with identical starts, and most of the time). So on a small map with lower difficulty you will have less time to set up for the preat rush, making it more difficult to pull off.

The next point is what speed is the game? Quick speed means that it is harder to attack because of unit moves still only taking 1 tile a turn while the cost of building defenders is decreased. So while you move the preats over to the enemy they will have just as many turns to react, and be able to pump out more defenders on quick than on normal.

With these two points in mind...it is going to be significantly harder to put together a preat rush in this game than any of the PB games.

Checking in as chief ded-lurker and thread-spammer!

While going through my chats with Krill, I came across this nugget

Quote:Krill: fwiw
Toku is going to be frigging evil
just hope I don't get a seafood start
and I'm going to rip someone limb from limb
even if I have to build some god damned galleys

lol

Here's a chat with Krill, just for posterity

Quote:regoarrarr: excellent
do we have a thread?
Krill: no
still trying to figure out WTF to do
regoarrarr: who are we?
Krill: because can't preat rush with that start
Tokugawa of Rome
regoarrarr: agg/pro fish/min?
Krill: yeah
I get all the luck
never gotten a good start yet
regoarrarr: so cheap granaries
culture cheap barracks
2 turn loss but what about moving to the PH th ewarrior's oN?
Krill: 2 forests
rive is sligtly worse than irrigating a flod plain
*rice
worse commerce city
slower worker
regoarrarr: slower worker?
even with PH and PFH?
Krill: need toget WB out for crab
otherwise Agri>AH
regoarrarr: yeah
agri / ah /wheel/ pottery
you don't HAVE to rush with praets
what about this
we fake the praet rush
and spam chariots
to own all the shock axes :-D
Krill: While I like the idea
the aim is to see if preats are broken
Although I suppose that aim went out the window with this start
regoarrarr: right
start is what it si
so warrior's pretty useless, right
i guess SE?
Krill: warrior basically moves 3 to see if we can move to that grass forest hill for a reason
regoarrarr: right
Krill: or 7 to cheak for seafood
regoarrarr: i think 3
Krill: yeah
same
capital spots are 8, 2, 44, 23
regoarrarr: yeah
i like 8
Krill: there is a hille 63 og settler
regoarrarr: hm
Krill: so 8 loses 2 grass hills but gains one back
and is breakeven on forests
you know
I think I loathe this start more than the PB1 start
regoarrarr: wah wah wah
Krill: if settle 8 or 23 then allows an NE city for crabs, pigs and rice
look I can play any of the starts, doesn't mean i have to like them
regoarrarr: sharing the pigs?
Krill: if 8 then best used as cottage city IMO
6 fps and 4 plains river tiles
ok, need to sim out growing to size 5 and just working pig and hills and occasional flood plain
so Agri/AH/BW
regoarrarr: i like cottage caps
start a thread
Krill: About to
regoarrarr: ok
Sent at 12:56 on Friday
Krill: thread up
regoarrarr: already in
certainly possible that we could still praet rush
Krill: it's a lot harder than you think
especially with weakened 2 pop slaves

tl;dr version

Krill: wah wah wah my start sucks

What are the map settings?
I have to run.

I'm going to rip someone limb from limb, I just won't be using preats to do it. I can't get 3 cities down with a settler and 2 workers ready for turn 37, which is the deadline in most sims for when IW comes in...if I do pottery first.

novice Wrote:What are the map settings?

I think, and I'm not sure, quick, monarch, small.

So, possible settling locations: 1N, 1S, 2S1E, 2W. 2SE is a straight no.

1N will be a cottage city, working as many cottages as possible by the mid game.

1S loses a lot of flood plains but has 2 ph and 3 gh so is a decent hammer city early on. Problem is it crowds out coastal cities on that coast, and I'm considering using a rice/crab/pig city as the NE city.

2W has a few coastal tiles, loses flood plains, loses hills but gives a plains hill capital. Same number of forests I think. not worth moving to IMO.

2S1E I might move if it uncovers an irrigated wheat or corn, otherwise, I'm not moving down there.

Now I need the save before I decide what to do. But the map is normal size, which I'm happier with. Means I have more time before I will research IW to get an economy set up.

Options, 1N:
  • Hunting>AH (12 turns), worker first (10 turns, 1 turn of mine on grass hill)

• BW (10 turns), worker first (10 turns), chop out second worker, build warrior to grow

• Agri>AH (14 turns), worker first, not long enough to get farm down on any tile without delaying pasture.

Options 1S:

As above but with slower tech and higher health limits.