I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[SPOILERS]PB46: (In Search of) Fine Foreign Dining, by Hannibal of England

More to come later.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

We haven't done a snake pick for this many players since PB3. I'm probably looking forward to this more than the actual game.

Starting screenshot:

Tech costs

PB46 Starting Sim

Snake pick:

Old Harry + Hitru: Victoria [FIN/IMP] of Inca
Commodore: Wang Kon [FIN/PRO] of Mongolia
Borsche: Suryavarman [EXP/CRE] of Persia
GeneralKillCavalry: Darius [FIN/ORG] of Aztecs
Krill: Hannibal [FIN/CHM] of England
TBW: Shaka [EXP/AGG] of Rome
2MetraNinja: Mao [EXP/PRO] of Ethiopia
Elkad: Churchill [CHM/PRO] of Native America
Pindicator: Pacal [EXP/FIN] of Arabia
Gavagai: Stalin [AGG/IND] of Germany
Rusten: Isabella [EXP/SPI] of India
BeardBeard: Charlemagne [PRO/IMP] of HRE
BaII: Mehmed [EXP/ORG] of Khmer
superdeath: Boudicca [AGG/CHM] of America
Adler: Julius Caesar [IMP/ORG] of Sumeria
Dark Savant: Bismark [EXP/IND] of Mali

Table of contents

Mod changes
Crossbows
Naval Changes
Tech Cost Scaling

Player pick thoughts

Old Harry + Hitru: Victoria [FIN/IMP] of Inca
Commodore: Wang Kon [FIN/PRO] of Mongolia
Borsche: Suryavarman [EXP/CRE] of Persia
GeneralKillCavalry: Darius [FIN/ORG] of Aztecs
Krill: Hannibal [FIN/CHM] of England[/url]
TBW: Shaka [EXP/AGG] of Rome
2MetraNinja: Mao [EXP/PRO] of Ethiopia
Elkad: Churchill [CHM/PRO] of Native America
Pindicator: Pacal [EXP/FIN] of Arabia
Gavagai: Stalin [AGG/IND] of Germany
Rusten: Isabella [EXP/SPI] of India
BeardBeard: Charlemagne [PRO/IMP] of HRE
BaII: Mehmed [EXP/ORG] of Khmer
superdeath: Boudicca [AGG/CHM] of America
Adler: Julius Caesar [IMP/ORG] of Sumeria
Dark Savant: Bismark [EXP/IND] of Mali

Microplans:

T16 - T39 capital micro
T34 - T50 worker/labourer movements for settling/improving city 2 and 3

Turn reports:

Early scouting up to BW (T0-T13):

Post Copper reveal scouting until first contact (T14-T24):

Completing Scouting, putting in place barb-busting and second city (T25-T41):

Third city and barbarians (T42-T60):

Turn 042
Turn 043 - new world map.
Turn 044
Turn 045 - Buddhism falls and more barb-busting plans.
Turn 046
Turn 047
Turn 048
Turn 049
Turn 050 - Appearance of first barb warrior.
Turn 051 - Weall admit we suck as map makers.
Turn 052
Turn 053
Turn 054 - Production bug delays library whip.
Turn 055 - Second barb warriors appears, micro plans disrupted.
Turn 056
Turn 057
Turn 058 - TBW meets someone (GKC?)
Turn 059
Turn 060 - Setup for RNG hammering

Fixing barb problems (T61-81):

Turn 061 - The RNG is a bastard
Turn 062 - Borsche razes a 2MN city
Turn 063
Turn 064 - Barbs are only good for dying, and city review
Turn 065 - superdeath lands the TGL, but has no friends to give him OB. Shame.
Turn 066
Turn 067
Turn 068 - Rusten spikes GNP on Writing with absurd number of gold resources
Turn 069 - Double report
Turn 070 - Double report
Turn 071
Turn 072 - Perfect Coin Toss
Turn 073 - Collated information
Turn 074 - Last report until a vacation
Turn 075 - Played by AT
Turn 076 - Played by AT
Turn 077 - Played by AT/Borsche gets second blooded by Elkad
Turn 078 - Return and ful update
Turn 079 - Events are troll
Turn 080 - Aldeburgh
Turn 081 - Gav rushes Mids via GE

Island cities (T82-T94):

Turn 082 - Huxter and island trade routes
Turn 083
Turn 084
Turn 085
Turn 086
Turn 087 - Final settling plan
Turn 088 - Elkad builds SoZ for someone else
Turn 089 - AT builds COllosus and Hitru/OH found Confucianism
Turn 090
Turn 091
Turn 092 - Double report
Turn 093 - Double report
Turn 094 - Meet GKC, find TBW

After Currency (T95-T110):

Turn 095 - First cottage, full report
Turn 096 - find GKC
Turn 097 - Meet Rusten
Turn 098
Turn 099 - Why does Rsuten have everything?
Turn 100
Turn 101 - Find Elkad
Turn 102 - Meet Elkad, full report
Turn 103
Turn 104
Turn 105 - Meet Borsche, settling plans pre-revolt
Turn 106 - Find Borsche
Turn 107
Turn 108 - Pin bulbs Theo to found Christianity, Rusten bulbs Philo to found Taoism
Turn 109 - first religion spread, event gives whales
Turn 110 - Find, meet 2MN

Push to Feudalism and restarting expansion (T111-126):

Turn 111 - Alphabet and OB
Turn 112 - Full report
Turn 113
Turn 114
Turn 115 - Change to settling plans
Turn 116 - Meet Hitru
Turn 117 - How to win
Turn 118 - what are other players doing? Mostly screwing around
Turn 119
Turn 120 - Revolt into Serfdom and Vassalage
Turn 121 - Full report
Turn 122
Turn 123 - Finding OH/Hitru
Turn 124
Turn 125
Turn 126 - Library quest recieved

Religion and GA planning (T127-)

Turn 127 - Library quest completed plus Toaism spread.
Turn 128
Turn 129 - Tech options
Turn 130 - Elkad trades for gold
Turn 131 - Meet BeardBeard
Turn 132 - final great person plan for GA#1
Turn 133 - Offer OB to GKC
Turn 134 - OH/Hitru invade TBW, Elkad is a backstabber. Change of tech plans.
Turn 135 - Almost full report.
Turn 136 - Barb galleys break gpp plans.
Turn 137 - OH/Hitru GA start T136, Merc, meet and find AT.
Turn 138 - OH/Hitru Circumnavigate. Rusten revolts into Merc. AT revolts Bureau.

World Maps (Selection only)

BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

Suggestion: let's make a good pick. We should pick a good leader, and also a good civ. What are your thoughts about this idea?

I think it sucks.

I haven't picked a good leader since PB3 and I'm not starting now.

Well, I tried.

[Image: tDn3xmL.jpg]

Ragnar or Hannibal. Boudicca of any civ. Mansa or Darius of an granary civ. Gandhi could be played if we think we get a safe run at a religion. Ramses or Roosevelt of a forge or granary or Native American civ could be interesting. Not CRE, not PHI except Gandhi. Kinda want to play FIN, but until there is a snakepick order I don't really know what is going to work. First pick has to pick a leader that can play any civ, last pick has to react to everyone else.

India. Native America. Inca. HRE. Stalin of Germany and go balls deep for Collosus and maintenance reducing forges to ignore Caste, and use Feudalism to open all the spec slots. There are so many options and I don't think there are that many truly stupid options anymore.

Another example: Joao of Aztecs: get your basic techs, and then push for Monotheism, and use your third city to go for Mids from T40. You grab Judaism, and have a 90 hammer courthouse that lets you slave to your hearts content, and gives 2 priest slots to grab the shrine, and then on T85ish you finish Mids and use Rep to solve all teching issues. Then roll over everyone.

Boudicca is actually first pickable now. She doesn't need any civ to really work, because she has one trait that lifts the limit on vertical growth, and another that pushes the horizontal growth limit out in AGG. She has all this extra space that doesn't rely on anything from the map, so she can play with a civ that helps early expansion so she keeps up with other combos (such as Joao) if she is paired with a granary civ, or she can be paired with a civ for a specific UU if you want to be really threatening (Rome or Vikings). Or Japan or America or America, extra XP in coastal cities means she can reach 10XP on melee units for easier commando. Or Khmer for a boost from the UU that dump aqueducts that give food and culture into new cities, or Russia or Korea for a later game economic buff to keep up with other players that picked leader/civ combos that give higher yields in the late game when everything is fully grown.

how about Boudica of Arabia? seems like perfect synergy right there, plus the new camel archers seem pretty sick.

i tend to think picking civ first for RtR snake picks is the way to go. on that note, america, byzantium, england, germany, NA, HRE, Khmer, Spain, and Russia all seem interesting civs with the right leaders.

IMHO chasing religion is a fool's game with this many players.

Chasing religion is what Arabia is all about though. Maybe Boudicca of Aztecs is safer? Focus on Monotheism?

I think we split the pick phase into 4 slots. Top 5, middle 5, bottom 5 and last pick which can have perfect synergy. Top 5 needs to pick a leader or Civ which can work with a minimum of 3 different second choices, bottom 5 and last pick we can aim to pick something specifically c.and risk it, but middle 5, adjust have to wing it and react to everyone else.

If we had to pick in the first 5 picks I'd be worried that going Civ first puts us in an awkward position when we have to pick a leader, because the civ really supports the weakness of the leader traits. But if the few leaders we want to pick are gone, then we might have a rather fudged game.

For example, I kind of want to pick Ragnar if we have an early pick, but Ragnar works with Byz, India, and England for different reasons. Rome as well, actually. But I don't want to first pick any of those civs.

If we first picked something like the Native Americans, what leaders would fit with that? Hannibal?