I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[SPOILER] Darius of Ottomans - Vets - Krill

POST ANTE DELETIA.

First things first: I hate my leader. Worst leader in the game IMO, and in this game, every other team has some sort of early game trait, plus one econ trait, whereas I have Org...a trait that saves me 40 hammers in my 2 coastal cities, cheap factories that will be a non-factor and cheap court houses, on Noble.

In addition to this, I have a UU that is pretty nice...but still not as good as drafted rifles, which is the more likely beeline for if and when I ever go on the attack, and a UB that basically gives me 2 free happy at full cost, compared to Mayas' 3 happy half price Colosseum, which is at construction, a critical tech to research, so the fact it is 1 tech after maths isn't all that important.

And in compared to this, is Pacal of China. Just holy fuck, I'm thankful Whosit (someone I don't feel is a threat) got that combo, which is probably the best combo in this game.

Also, Comment for Speaker to answer in the lurker thread: did you balance the civs and leaders for (perceived) player ability?

Creative
Protective
Spiritual
Imperialistic
Financial
Charismatic
Philosophical
Industrious
Expansive
Aggressive
Organized
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

Krill Wrote:Also, Comment for Speaker to answer in the lurker thread: did you balance the civs and leaders for (perceived) player ability?
I picked all the leader/civ combos, and then used Random.org to make a random sequence from 1-6, assigning each civ a number. Then used another random sequence to order the Vets. Then another random sequence to order the Greenies. The civ assignments couldn't have been more random.

If I was going to screw you, I would have just given you Saladin of America and been done with it. But anyways, good luck!

"There is no wealth like knowledge. No poverty like ignorance."

Oh yeah, should say, I'm not MMing this in a sandbox, just doing short term sims in my head when I'm at work. However, Speaker gave a nice choice at the start: move away from a plains hill to grab an irrigated wheat (when already had a grass pig in the fat cross). I settled in place and went worker first, and started research into AH. If I get horses, great, otherwise going to have to head for archery next, perhaps after mining.

I will NOT be getting pottery early, until I have sufficient defense to ward off a choke. that means I have to either head for BW (no mining...) or just get archery and waste a bit of time roading with the worker. If I do get choked by 2 warriors, I'm basically screwed because of starting techs (other option would be to just stock pile warriors while growing to size 2, and tech BW, then slave out a worker...but can't hook up AH. I'd rather just play risky and die).
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

Speaker Wrote:I picked all the leader/civ combos, and then used Random.org to make a random sequence from 1-6, assigning each civ a number. Then used another random sequence to order the Vets. Then another random sequence to order the Greenies. The civ assignments couldn't have been more random.

If I was going to screw you, I would have just given you Saladin of America and been done with it. But anyways, good luck!

I'll stick by what I said - thank god Whosit got Pacal of China. Anyone else got that sort of advantage, and game over if they play that competently. Whosit is going to have to play with something more than his ordinary skill level to do well here IMO.

PS. pictures next turn when I get the save. Currently got pigs, plains hill, 3-4 grass hills and 2 flood plains, and on a river. Start is good, and I see stone to the east, and a northern city will have irrigated wheat and river grass and a few forests.

Just waiting to see what strat resource pic is like now.

Krill Wrote:I'll stick by what I said - thank god Whosit got Pacal of China. Anyone else got that sort of advantage, and game over if they play that competently. Whosit is going to have to play with something more than his ordinary skill level to do well here IMO.

Fortunately you can play any start competently, right? wink
I have to run.

novice Wrote:Fortunately you can play any start competently, right? wink

If I can't I deserve to lose. A standard IS map is, what, 70 tiles wide, a small map is about 50, and I'm 11 turns from a warrior if I complete the worker, so I should be safe from a marauding early warrior, as there is no way for it to get woody 2 early on.

Actually, thinking about it, no one is going to spam warriors and throw them at one 1 player, so the most I really have to worry about is killing 2 warriors from 2 differnet players that can't cooperate and coordinate the choke. I can probably do that with just warriors, and slaving out 2 warriors for 1 pop means getting BW after AH is probably the most important thing.

FYI, your first post is readable as a mouseover text in the PBEM4 forum. Maybe you should edit in some fluff at the beginning, to avoid other players accidentally reading your thoughts on your leader.
I have to run.

I've said that Darius sucks enough times in the past 2 years that most people probably know that by now, ever since Saturn took them in the MTDG.