I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Kandros of the Clan - How many powers of 2 do you need?

Mwahahaha.

Time to start planning for the demise of those weak humans.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

Leaders:

Anyone up for an unrestricted leader game?

Playing order:

Sareln - Kandros Fir of Sheaim - PST
Elimist/Mist - Varn of Sidar USA time!
Amelia - Einon Logos of Elohim - PST
Serdoa/WarriorKnight - Varn of Illians GMT +2
Square Leg - Amelanchier of Hippus GMT
Krill/Kyan/Darrell/Cyneheard - Kandros Fir of Clan of Embers - GMT

Settings

Mardoc Wrote:Selrahc passed on the leader choices for most of you in the tech thread, and I've received one by PM.

Which means all that's missing is Serdoa/WK to confirm Varn or not-Varn, and a deciding vote on whether Amelia's ok to go to his third choice (currently 2 yeas/no dissents). I'll be working on the map tonight if I get these wrapped up.

Here are the settings I'm working with:
[SPOILER]* Game speed? Quick

* Starting era? Ancient

* Orthus: on or off? On

* Acheron: Off

* Human take-over allowed for Basium and/or Hyborem? Yes

* Difficulty level? Emp

* Barb activity level? Up to mapmaker

* Wildlands? off

* Last Days? off

* Living World? Yes

* Lairs? YES

* All Unique Features? Up to mapmaker

* Map type? Up to mapmaker

* Always War/Diplomacy allowed? No/Yes

I believe that's what you all agreed on - if I've made a mistake, speak now!

Do you want the 'up to mapmaker' stuff public, or to find out as you play?[/spoiler]

Naming scheme: http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.p...oblinnamer

Starting warrior: Sum Darkshredder
Starting goblin: Tok Greatraider, now wolfrider
Goblin2: Zdog Biggut
Warrior2: MorDamnfilth
Adventurer: Vanilla Ice (obviously)

MM from t28-45

Worked out the MM, it'll be posted in on of the early posts so I don't lose it. Basically, grow straight to size 5 on wheat and fp. Worker goes farm>mine>farm>plantation. Tech calendar and revolt asap - I lose about 10 commerce, but I'll come out ahead on hammers by the time AC and Myst get researched for God King, plus if the situation changes and Myst no longer makes sense at least we're in Agrarianism.

Grow to size 5 on flood plains. Worker farms Wheat>mine ph>farm fp>plant silk>farm fp.
Speed calendar by working silk for 1 turn at size 5 (2*farm, mine, silk, phf)
Revolt to Agrarianism asap.
@size5, work max hammers until fp farm complete (with exception above). Then work wheat, fp farm, mine, phf, pf.
Grow to 6, turn before silk hooked, then work silk.
Tech Calendar>AC>Myst.
Once Warren complete, build workers 2+3, farm last fp, mine plains hill forest, timing for GK revolt for max hammers.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

So, why CoE?

Simplest answer: Darrell once asked me how many powers of two I want, and the answer is:

Quote:23:41
23:41 Krill: why can't puppets use enchant spellstaff?
00:10 Darrell: How many powers of two do you need?
00:11 Krill: AS MANY AS I CAN GET!

Simple answer: I like the idea of half priced settlers, workers, warriors, scouts, archers, axes, shamans and, well, killing people with them.

Long answer: OMFG Warrens are uber. Actually, I think I got that the wrong way around...

The problem CoE seem to have in the base game is that they are slow in tech. But that's the problem with the leaders, Barb trait, and lack of libs for the late game. I intend to not be using a barb leader, instead I'm plumping for something else. OK, That means I won't have a starting tech, nor a usable world spell, but screw'em, WARRENS!

My plan is simple, to get a Warren out asap and to go straight from 1 city to 3 and then 5. I'm hoping to be able to beeline Masonry, something like 275 beakers for Crafting and Masonry. However, that probably won't be possible, and if I have to tech Agri and Calendar, so be it, I can use the extra food to grow faster to the happy cap and build a settler and second worker, and stop them before completing, even if they decay a bit I'll still be making more hammers if I wait for the warren to complete.

I love powers of 2.

Oh, and on Rantine, fwiw, he does have one use.

26 turns after I build him, I can build the FotT. That's a pretty good bonus, all considered. Probably makes him a little bit better than, say, Govannon, IMO.

Krill Wrote:On Rantine, fwiw, he does have one use.

26 turns after I build him, I can build the FotT. That's a pretty good bonus, all considered. Probably makes him a little bit better than, say, Govannon, IMO.

Haha. This is gonna be a fun game. Diplomatic aide checking in.

As to the leader, I suppose I should enlighten the dear lurkers tongue.

Originally I was thinking of something along the lines of Phi for cheap Elder councils, combined with Arc for good Shamans (buildings and civics don't affect the warrened unit, but traits do), and if there is one thing I've learnt it's that getting Mages is damned hard, and they sure do come in useful. I figured that Potency would be rather useful in getting Shamans up to scratch, and Phi would be good to get half price elder councils in all my cities so minimal help is needed to get them productive.

Then it got pointed out to me that markets might actually be a bit better, and it's true if you are spamming settlers to an extent, because you'll be losing gold at max slider, so markets are going to be better without multiplier buildings which I'm going to be lacking in simply because of the extra output a market gives compared to an elder council. And Fin is a better trait IMO, especially for a civ that is designed around working as many tiles as possible. So I dropped Phi and added Fin. Fin/Arc, though, doesn't exist, but AGG gives a promotion to all units that I want to build - melee, disciple, arcace, mounted, but especially recon.

Wait, recon? Why recon?

Because goblins, a CoE unique unit, crappy at 2 strength and only 1 move, can be upgraded to a wolf rider, a cool strength 4, 3 move unit if they simply beat a wolf. Without any other tech needs. And Goblins can get Subdue animal with 5XP and Animal Husbandry researched, but due to AGG, I'd only need 2 XP. 2XP, a tech I might need early on anyway, and a wolf, and thanks to the mapscript there should be some tundra around for early wolf spawns. So it is possible to get a strength 4, subdue animal unit by t30.

Hmmm, aren't goblins a bit weak though? Like, they die quite easily. Yes, yes they do. And I start behind the tech pace, down one tech. I'm intending to just push out a few before a worker - it's not like the worker is going to have a lot to do, is it?

So, that's my leader sorted. Kandros Fir, but I forgot something. He has a third trait. Ingenuity, and what a useful trait for me that is. Half price upgrades aren't something I'm going to sneeze at, but starting with 50 gold when I'm already 1 tech behind, well, that just means I need to find a way to turn gold into beakers, right. I think I can figure that out somehow.

So, there you have it, I got 3 routes to victory. True half price units, fake hunters, and food>gold conversion. Hopefully at least 1 of them works out.

Also, I hope for the Sheaims sake they don't start next to me. When I can build a warrior for 8 hammers, pyre zombies must start looking slightly less appealing.

Krill Wrote:(buildings and civics don't affect the warrened unit, but traits do),

That what the manual says - but my warrens created units were all starting with 2XP in PBEM5 when I was in apprenticeship.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

Actually, you're right, looking at the test I've got up.

ZOMFGWTFBBQ this is going to be awesome.

OK, on a standard size map, with emperor difficulty on quick, I'm looking at 259 beakers to get to Masonry.

That's probably a much better option than going worker first, if I get a few flood plains. If I just get food res and forests, growing won't increase my tech pace, and growth isn't going to increase either as population increases.

Meh, I suppose it all comes down to what Mardoc gives me. Flood plains and a plains hill plant would probably be the absolute best start I could ever get here.

Your start:
[Image: Krill%20Just%20Kidding.JPG]

Did I get the leader name right?
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

I'm getting the feeling I'm moving that settler 3SW, and thanks for the tundra/snow, should have a good chance to get some wolf riders out smile

Nice try tongue