For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Cheerful Cat Crew Have No Clue (Sury of France)

I've never played with the mod or even looked more than cursory at the change log. This should be interesting! Barracks first in our capital cheetah?

[Image: Sury.JPG]

Things may change, particularly if you're one of the ones without an actual 5-food tile.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

SIP looks decent:
5 forests
Wet corn
3 lakes
Grass hill + plains hill

If we're willing to waste a turn, we have several options:
A) NW (+ maybe one tile away from there)
B) SE (looks like no flat terrain adjacent to it)
C) NE + somewhere + somewhere else (lots of options here)

Big question is where to move our scout. I'm thinking NE first to look, then decide from there based on what we see. Far NE doesn't look apetizing, seems there's a jungle belt there.

cheetah, how do you feel about trying to spread turns evenly among us? No need to follow an exact alternating schedule, and I don't imagine we'll be coordinating a whole bunch. We should probably try to use signs a lot, might save us some time.

After reading the tech thread it sounds like our start might be on the weak end, depending on what's in the fog. I'm not fussed though, just means we will have to pounce harder!

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot5701.JPG]
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

This does look more appealing. We will definitely want the wet wheat, don't care about the silk. We can easily get 3 hammers for the EXP worker bonus no matter where we settle (+35% now, not +25%), so we have a good amount of freedom in deciding where to settle. Obviously, we need to move our scout first before deciding. I'm leaning towards going on the PH to the NW, there might be seafood up there that can be combined with wheat and 2-3 FP tiles. On the flip side, we'll be moving away from all the forests. slowcheetah, what do you think?

(October 28th, 2012, 05:54)Catwalk Wrote: This does look more appealing. We will definitely want the wet wheat, don't care about the silk. We can easily get 3 hammers for the EXP worker bonus no matter where we settle (+35% now, not +25%), so we have a good amount of freedom in deciding where to settle. Obviously, we need to move our scout first before deciding. I'm leaning towards going on the PH to the NW, there might be seafood up there that can be combined with wheat and 2-3 FP tiles. On the flip side, we'll be moving away from all the forests. slowcheetah, what do you think?

Hey Catwalk, I've been away for the last few days. Had a cursory look at the thread. I definitely agree with moving our scout to the plains hill NW. I'll probably be around tonight if you want to chat. I need to install RB mod though :P

Sounds good, looking forward to it. First point on the agenda is determining who gets to be the lazy cat who sits back and complains while the other plays the most of the turns. IMO I'm best qualified for that.

So, lets actually have a look at what we are dealing with here. Half of this is pretty obvious and is mainly for my own reference smile

Opponents
Commodore - Gilgamesh (CRE/PRO) of the Khmer (Hunting, Mining, Ballista Elephant, Baray)

Despite the CRE nerfs (no cheap libs, barracks produce culture), I think ol' gilgy has gotten way stronger in RB mod. That's because PRO is actually pretty awesome with double speed granaries. Hunting is no longer a bummer to start because everyone starts with scouts. For the Khmer themselves Ballista elephants are fairly terrifying, particularly in the hands of Commodore as an accomplished early warmonger. Both of his traits centre on the early game, he'll probably want to secure himself some land with those elephants. I would very much appreciate not being next to him.

Azza - Napoleon (Org/Cha) of Rome (Fishing, Mining, Praetorian, Forum)

With the addition of cheap libraries to its already impressive roster of reduced buildings, ORG was one of the big winners in RB mod. This could be particularly relevant is Azza starts out amongst islands. Cha has also improved drastically, no longer relying on a stonehenge build to efficiently use its early happiness. Rome is pretty much the same, strength 7 praetorians are less of a worry on the offense but I wouldn't really want to attack into them. Azza's racked up a fair few games now, he had an awful start in 33 (I believe he built stonehenge before settling his second city), however seems to have improved since then. Doing well in 37 and seeming to impress Krill (or at least not dissappoint) with some of his tactics in PB7. Overall, pretty solid if he leverages ORG well he should be in good shape.

Pindicooter - Huayna Capac (FIN/IND) of Zulu (Agriculture, Hunting, Impi, Ikhanda)

FIN has been nerfed but is still pretty powerful, particularly if there ends up being a low amount of rivers on the map. IND appears to be exactly the same, as do Impis and Ikhandas, although hunting is better as a start tech now. Pind and scooter are both pretty experienced and good players to boot. Although paradoxically I kind of expect them to do better if they end up with relatively worse land, it really seemed to motivate scooter in PB5.

Merohoc - Augustus (IND/IMP) of Arabia (Myst, Wheel, Camel Archer, Madrassa)

Augustus hasn't really changed much. IMP is still lower middle in terms of power and IND is probably quite weak given how many people have it. Just realised they are Plako, Pindooter, Lewger and Serdoa, all good microers who you don't really want to be competing for wonders with. Arabia still has terrible starting techs although the Madrassa is cool if they end up having some kind of religious strategy. I know next to nothing about Merovech or adhoc

Ichabod and the Brick - Genghis Khan (Agg/IMP) of the Vikings (Fishing, Hunting, Berserker, Trading Post)

Agg's been buffed with barracks culture and the Vikings are always navally dangerous. However, I'd put it down as one of the less good combos there is in this game. bRICK is relatively new but seems to be improving and I have a lot of respect for Ichabods ability in both micro and macro terms (barring the phracting of 38)

Plako if RBmod - Louis XIV (CRE/IND) of the Aztec (Myst, Hunt, Jag, Sacrifical Altar)

Despite CRE being nerfed, IND being all over the place and no SPI to really abuse Sacrificial altars, I'd expect Plako to do well. Now that he can't be mortiused I think that the rule for winning any game with Plako in it should be 'Don't attack Plako early, he'll mess your shit up.

Xenu - Churchill (CHA/PRO) of Portugal (fishing, mining, Carrack, Feitora)

So Xenu randoms another PRO leader, at least it isn't Mao this time. He's definitely got good early game strength with his traits, although he probably isn't as good as the Lewwyn, Plako, Serdoa's etc. If he doesn't go all Xenu and declare war on somebody then I could see him doing well, although probably not winning

Catcheetah - Suryavarman (CRE/EXP) of France (Agri, Wheel, Musketeer, Salon)

Our combo, I wish we had regular Sury frown. However, I do like the Salons new 'one free spec option', could certainly add a secondary consideration to an early astronomy. Be prepared to watch me attempt to veto Catwalks demands for early barracks.

Lewger - Qin Shi Huang (IND/PRO) of the Netherlands (Fishing, Agriculture, East Indiaman, Dike)

With PRO's buff Qin becomes a very good leader and the Netherlands are as always strongest post steampower. Lewwyn (I'm not sure who he's playing with) has very solid micro and seems to have toned down his tendency to go crazy aggressive early. Consequently, I expect him to be a major player particularly if he gets a lonely island start.

N-core - Mansa Musa (FIN, SPI) of India (Myst, Mining, Mausoleum, Fast Worker)
I believe N-core is Nakor and Tatan but I could well be wrong. FIN's a bit nerfed but still good and SPI's the same. Fast workers have been slightly nerfed but are still extremely good as a UU. Despite its weakness compared to base BTS I think this combo is still one of the strongest in the game, although Nakor and Tatan are not amongst the strongest players.

Serdoa - De Gaulle (CHA, IND) of Maya (Myst, Mining, Ballcourt, Holkans)

De Gaulle certainly got a buff with new Cha however with all the IND's flying around Serdoa got a pretty crappy leader. However, given his tendency to build 'all of the wonders' I imagine him having the trait will be making the other INDs a wee bit nervoud about their plans. Serdoa's a very good player and if he doesn't overbuild wonders I could certainly see him winning, despite his; slightly rubbish leader.

I logged in and changed the password to "lionfanciers". Although it seems to crash everytime I try to log in which is worrying.