Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Harry's Game

If you think you can get a religion to pop the borders and pick up the corn then SE of pig would be better. if not then i think you should plant S with immediate access to oasis and lake tiles. But here's another thought, what about putting your city 2S of pig instead to grab cow first ring?

I'd like an early religion, as a SPI civ Organised Religion is a good early move too, so Polytheism/Hinduism is the better path. But I want to start making cottages soon too. I'll have to do some C&D to see who else might be going that way, but I don't think they will be - no-one else needs the border pops. Even if someone else does get Hinduism first I think I'll be first to Monotheism/Judaism (although a lot later unfortunately).

If I don't get a religion in city 2 is it worth the extra turn it'll take the settler to get 1N of the cow? I do like the extra forests available 1SE - I think chopping settlers out of city 2 might be the way to get the best expansion.

I've been updating the C&D spreadsheet and realised that each pop point is worth about 8 score points. Meaning all that worrying about Serdoa doing magic yikes and getting two techs in two turns back in post 63 was utter nonsense crazyeye

In case all the pictures of Civ itself have been boring you, here is how the game looks through the eyes of Google Docs:

The bad news is that all three of the others now have a warrior. The good news is that I'm only massively behind on score because I have 2 pop less due to whip. That counts as good news, right?alright

We should be seeing the points from the land settled at the start of the game next turn, you have no idea how much I'm looking forward to that popcorn

Turn 20

This looks somehow familiar...

Azza! Looks like he did settle 1N of where I did - I still haven't figured out why. If he doesn't spot me I'll nip down to his borders then back to the jungle next turn and hopefully he won't know where I came from...

Settler will finish with another chop next turn. Unfortunately Dario Gradi will have to spend a turn mining before he can get on with pasturing the sheep. As you can see visiting Azza has inspired a dotmap that gets the crab and hidden grass pig and gold in the NW. I suspect picking the right gold to expand towards will be the key to avoiding early conflict. This one is only 7 tiles from my capital, while the other is 10.

At the moment I want to settle c3 third to chop out a work boat so c4 can work the fish and get moving quickly. Both these cities can share cottages with Altrincham, c4 could share more if it were 1E, but would lose the fish and gain the rice and prevent a later filler city west of the dye. So I think it needs to be there. Please shout if I'm doing something dumb here...

Confirmation that the others think that having kids beats killing half your people for the greater glory of the snowball.

Demos - points gained this turn confirms that Serdoa and LH got 9 tiles on settling just like me.

Turn 21

Balls. Azza spotted Jimmy Glass, and if he comes straight for me he can see into city 2 on t29 and attack it on t31. I'll need to get a warrior over there.

I wondered about trying to make him think I was heading back towards me so he'd go the other direction, but it's not worth twisting myself up in psychology, so I'm going to continue scouting as planned.

I think I can get Hinduism about t35 without affecting tech path too badly, so the settler will start moving toward 2b next turn with that in mind. The pigs will keep it going on chopped workers and settlers until the religion pops borders to get the cow, wheat and oasis. You've got a couple of turns to convince me otherwise!

The borders of Altricham will pop in time to let the worker finish pasturing the pigs a turn after c2 is settled.

Demos

Stop press!

After ending turn horses appear. I thought they were going to be under the jungle, but they are over here instead. Maybe I should be trying to settle the crab/gold/pig/horse city much earlier?

Turn 22

Settler is in transit.

It looks like my sandbox has the culture wrong - I turned spying off so it's been converting Espionage Points into culture, but the PBEM isn't, so my borders aren't going to pop for another three turns. Meaning the pig will be ready a turn or two later than I wanted. I'll have to look at the microplan again, but I don't think it's a big problem.

Demos

with espionage on, you can indeed build spies. so the ban probably just means don't build spies and if you pop a great spy, either settle it or use it for a golden age. thats the norm I think. You can still use espionage to get graphs or reveal research.
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

Thanks Bigger. I wonder if its possible to edit the spy setting in my sandbox or do I need to build a new one? (or just keep adjusting culture in worldbuilder? Yeah, that will be easier...)

Turn 23

I'm a bit worried about Azza's warrior, if he follows the path I think I'd take he'll be able to see into Barnet (city 2) on turn 28 or 29. I'll either hope he investigates north instead or build a warrior before the worker I was planning. There isn't a great second tile after the pig, so I'll probably need to whip any pop growth away.

Jimmy keeps scouting.

Hang on. This looks familiar... This will be the player on my gold/horse border. I hope it isn't Serdoa (no offence Hydra, but I'm sure you know what I mean...)

Demos - no-one else has a second city yet, which is nice. Everyone else has size 3 capitals though alright, but until the pasture completes next turn I really don't have anything to do with extra pop. Except kill them and use them to make stuff. Everyone else seems to have prioritised Animal Husbandry more than I did, but by getting hunting first I think I saved about 10 beakers. I've no idea if that makes up for still being size 1 now though.shakehead