I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Dropbox Ending Support for Public Links

Quote:Hi _____,

We’re always looking to improve the Dropbox sharing experience. The Public folder was the first sharing method we introduced, and since then, we’ve built even better ways for you to share securely and work together with your team.

As a result, we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Basic users will be able to use the Public folder until March 15, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

If you’d like to keep sharing files in your Public folder, you can create new shared links. Just make sure to send the new URLs to your collaborators.

In addition to shared links, we have a number of sharing options designed to make collaboration easier and give you more control. To learn more, visit our Help Center.

The Dropbox team

rant rant rant

Now all my pictures are going to be orphaned, and I'm not going to update them. Not to mention, a half hundred other threads on this forum, many of the users aren't active even to the pitiful degree I still am.

FFS

Why would you not have an option to allow public sharing?

banghead
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

I hate when companies act as though they're doing me a favor when they do something like this.

And, ditto banghead

Holy crap. That literally kills half of my threads.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Hah. I opened this forum specifically to open a thread to complain about this. That's amazing. I checked, and I have around 7,000 files in RBCiv folders of my public folder. This is going to kill an incredible number of threads. Terrible news.

[Image: RBEpic1Start.PNG?dl=0]

You can still make images directly viewable changing the start of the link, however the chain after the /s/ is now different every file instead of the same user number after tyhe /u/ before. So I don't think there's any way to just do a database find/replace to the new link structure. rant

I saw this and thought of PB5. No.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

Yikes. Glad I never used the Public folder and did things the annoying way, but this is going to be awful for all the old threads out there. How nice of Dropbox to make things harder on their users.

Maybe this is a good time for us to end our support of Dropbox?
I have to run.

(December 16th, 2016, 16:32)novice Wrote: Maybe this is a good time for us to end our support of Dropbox?

It would be about the same effort level for me to swap to a new service as to recreate all my links, and they might very well change their format again, so swapping is probably more future-proof.

Recommendations?
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

(December 16th, 2016, 18:11)Mardoc Wrote:
(December 16th, 2016, 16:32)novice Wrote: Maybe this is a good time for us to end our support of Dropbox?

It would be about the same effort level for me to swap to a new service as to recreate all my links, and they might very well change their format again, so swapping is probably more future-proof.

Recommendations?

I was planning on moving my images over to dreamhost after getting this e-mail, but that's b/c it's free for me.

Does anyone know if there's an API for the forum?
Blog | EitB | PF2 | PBEM 37 | PBEM 45G | RBDG1