Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

RBP2 (Realms Beyond Pitboss) Planning Thread

Nakor Wrote:DMOC, can you agree to this?

Poll 3: Game Timer
*12 hours - unplayable
*18 hours - 3rd choice
*24 hours - 1st choice
*36 hours - 2nd choice

Poll 4: Restricted or Unrestricted leaders
*Restricted - 1st choice
*Unrestricted - 2nd choice

Poll 5: Duplicate civs and leaders
*No duplicates - 1st choice
*Duplicate civs only - 2nd choice
*Duplicate leaders only - 4th choice
*All duplicates allowed - 3rd choice

Poll 6: Game Speed
*Quick - 3nd choice
*Normal - 1st choice
*Epic - 2rd choice
*Marathon - unplayable

Poll 7: Tech trading
*No restriction - 2nd choice
*No tech brokering - 3rd choice
*No tech trading - 1st choice

Agree with poll 3

I would actually vouch for unrestricted leaders instead. Since we're having so many teams, a snake pick format with no duplicates weakens the teams that pick last since they have little chance of them getting their top civ and Uu/ub. And it's interesting to see the combos that we can come up with.

No duplicates, I guess, just for the sake of uniqueness to the game.

Normal, agreed. Epic if not normal.

No tech trading at all

DMOC Wrote:Since we're having so many teams, a snake pick format with no duplicates weakens the teams that pick last since they have little chance of them getting their top civ and Uu/ub. And it's interesting to see the combos that we can come up with.
A snake pick balances civ (uu, ub, starting techs) and leader (traits) choice. The team that picks the first Civ gets last pick on leader, and vice versa. So nobody *should* get their top civ and top leader. I emphasize *should* because sometimes people have have a weird or different idea about what the best civ and leader combos should be.

"There is no wealth like knowledge. No poverty like ignorance."

I'm pretty sure that makes 6/10 for unrestricted leaders then...:dancing5:

Indeed. DMOC and me will vote for unrestricted as well.

(Welcome to the hell that is picking leaders/civs. There isn't a balanced way to work it out short of allowing duplicates and letting people make mistakes).

Then again, I'm always one to let people make mistakes before the game starts.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

If you're not adverse to stepping a bit off the standard game mechanics, here's a way to help apply fairness to the selection process. Bid for it.

Give everybody something like 500 in-game gold, take bids (open auction for transparency or sealed bid for speed, up to you) for the right to select first. Repeat for the second pick and on down the line. Any gold you don't spend on selecting a leader, you keep in-game. This does skew the early game mechanics a bit, but shouldn't be too different than a few extra goody huts.

Or how about you pick a number between 1 and a hundred and each team PM's you a guess, order you pick civs decided by how close we got.

Or you assign each team a number 1-10 and do the random thing on a calculator.
"We are open to all opinions as long as they are the same as ours."

There's any number of random ways to establish a pick order. But that isn't fair the way Krill wants; somebody is going to get an advantage based entirely on random chance.

Without duplicates allowed, the only way to a fair pick order is to balance it against some other type of resource. In Monopoly, a common house rule has the players bid money for the right to go first. Civ has limited ways to do that since the game begins with so little material. Besides gold, another auction currency could be time - you bid "I skip 5 turns" for the right to choose the leader first.

T-hawk Wrote:If you're not adverse to stepping a bit off the standard game mechanics, here's a way to help apply fairness to the selection process. Bid for it.

Give everybody something like 500 in-game gold, take bids (open auction for transparency or sealed bid for speed, up to you) for the right to select first. Repeat for the second pick and on down the line. Any gold you don't spend on selecting a leader, you keep in-game. This does skew the early game mechanics a bit, but shouldn't be too different than a few extra goody huts.

I will take the 500 gold and bid nothing if we do this. lol Or maybe bid one gold, in case some other teams decide to bid nothing.

I would think Random snake would work fine. But I wouldnt mind an extra 500 gold to start smile You pick first you get the leader or civ of your choice but you then make your second choice last and get what is left. Person selecting last in the first round has the best chance of linking a leader and civ for good synergy as they pick back to back.